Saturday, July 2, 2011

KILI

Just getting back from the Kili climb and also the safari with a bunch of friends including Erin who came from America (well actually Germany but you get it). Any way, when I found out that I was going to serve in PC Tanzania Erin and I started to plan on her visiting and climbing kili but to tell you the truth I didn’t actually think that it would happen. The climb took 4.5 days up and 1.5 down and it wasn’t the easiest thing ever. The day hikes were fun and the sun was mostly sunny (one day had A LOT of wind) but the nights were always super cold. Also once we got to day 4, breathing wasn’t the easiest thing in the world to do. We would simply wake up and sit up and already be out of breath. The day of the summit, you wake up at 11pm and drink chai and get ready and then we left at 12am. The hike is SUPER slow and you are super thankful because at that slow pace you are super out of breath. My stomach started hurting really bad and felt nauseas but not to the point where I had to stop. We got to the summit just as the sun was coming up and it was AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL. To the left were glaciers, to the right there was a volcano crater and straight ahead there was the sign for the highest point in Africa!! After taking our pictures we started the trip down (shorter route) and it turns out that it was all sand. Going down the sand was supposed to be “fun” but I am not good at going down hill and I was scared of falling so I was super slow. By the time we made it back to the tent we had time for a 2 hour nap before waking up and eating then heading down another 3-4 hours. Sleeping wasn’t easy in the tents so when we were finished we all collapsed onto our hotel beds and didn’t move. We then went on our safari which was super relaxing because you legit just sit in a car all day! We really enjoyed people watching because whole families were all dressed up wearing full out matching safari gear with cool cameras and we all looked like dirty villagers lol. The trip came to an end and Erin and I went to my vil to hang out. The vil loved erin and wanted her to stay forever and she even had to fend off some marriage proposals. The children were all a little freaked seeing 2 white people which was weird because they were super standoffish but hey when you are scared you are scared. The last leg of the trip was coming back to Dar to see her off to the airport and that is where I am right now, in the hotel!!!
I am super pumped hoping that when I get back my water project will be moving forward and I have a great training planned for the end of the month in Iringa so that should be super cool. The following month of Aug I have MSC (mid-service conference) then off to IRELAND!!! Cant believe that Courtney is getting married! CRAZY!

No comments:

Post a Comment