Thursday, October 14, 2010

9/21/2010

Have you ever read a book in candle light while eating peas and drinking a warm beer? Well that is my night tonight. Today was pretty typical for my time here so far, I woke up at around 7 and finished my book that ive been reading (the white massai) and then rolled over and climbed out of my mosquito net. I then lit my kerosen small burner and started to boil water to make coffee then cracked open some eggs and cut up an onion and made myself a little omlette. I journaled and read my daily prayer book and started to clean up a bit. I swept my house and reorganized my potatoes because I have sooooooo many (gifts). I then got dressed and packed my work bag and was out of the house around 930am yet on my way out an old woman that was bit by a dog not too long ago stopped by and wanted to have oil and so I got her some and then also gave her a few eggs because I have alot any way. She then asked if I was a doctor and I said no but she lifted up her shirt and on her stomach is a huge tumor thing that is in need of attention bc it is open (ew). I told her to go to the hospital and I think she agreed but to tell you the truth she talks too fast and I didnt understand her, I could have promised her my first born child for all I know.I then walked to the hospital but stopping to greet everyone and I also dropped my phone off at the "duka" so they could charge it with their generator. At the hospital I translated some of the book that I am using right now and I made signs for the CTC clinic (where people go to get ARVs and also to get tested). I made some really good posters but forgot tape so I left and talked with some people on the road then went back to my house. At my house I made easy mac lol and read some of my new book. I returned to the hospital about an hour later but before getting there I sat and chatted with some store owners along the way. At the hospital I hung up the posters that I made and talked to some people before going back to the main part of town and just sat and talked with people and simply worked on my lacking language skills. I sat there for a long time before going home to cook dinner. I sarted my charcoal jiko and started to peel peas and soon realized I had no water so I asked a neighbor kid to get me some and in return I gave him gum (great deal). I was about half way done peeling when a woman I saw at the hospital came in my gate and told me she heard about me and that she is HIV positive and she is just starting ARVs, she then gave me A LOT more peas and sat down and helped me peel the rest of my peas. We talked about how I plan on starting a club for people living with HIV and that she is more than welcome and if she had any other questions feel free to ask. I then gave her a few eggs and a few plastic bags and she was off! I finished cooking the peas and read some more and here I am!!!.... FUN DAYS!!! .... On friday I watched baby weighing which was actually really sad because when a baby was underweight the mother was yelled at and not given any advice or anything so I think I will start meeting with the women whose babies are underweight and help them with nutrition and help them to plant a perma-garden (which is a way to make a garden that controls water and has high yields in little space). I also want to have a health club at the elementary school where we will plant a perma-garden and learn about nutrition and HIV/AIDS and of couse play soccer after the meeting (how else do you get kids to show up?). On top of that of course I want to work with the tree group that already exists here. I just want to introduce them to the Moringa tree because it is seriously AMAZING, look into it because it is such a sign and gift from God! It is so useful and can grow anywhere and fast!! Oh I forgot, at lunch I also put up my pictures on thewalls so that my house feels more like home!.... All in all I try to stay busy so that I feel useful here, it is hard because I see a lot of needs but my language is just not good enough to do anything yet, I can understand the jist of what people are saying but I can not hold up a conversation on nutrition AT ALL... I cant wait until I can actually do good work and not just the little things! But I have 2 years to do things so I just need to calm down lol... Missing everyone back home, especially when I have to take freezing bucket showers or im walking a bucket of water to my house! But I believe that this is where God wants me to be right now and I thankful for all of the prayers and if anyone needs any prayers their way feel free to let me know! ...... Also I have found some good TZ music, look up Mr Blue - Tuko Pamoja and also Mama Ntilie ... both good songs! .. Until next time!
AMY

No comments:

Post a Comment